BA (Soc Sc), M Social Work, AMHSW.
Telehealth Counselling: Jayani Jayatilake is able to provide counselling to clients via phone call or skype in certain circumstances. To make an appointment for telehealth counselling, try Online Booking or call Vision Psychology Brisbane on (07) 3088 5422 or M1 Psychology Loganholme on (07) 3067 9129.
Jayani Jayatilake is a Mental Health Social Worker and a member of Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW). In addition to holding a Masters of Social Work, she has completed further units of study in counselling at the University of Queensland.
Jayani has extensive experience in social services and working with clients experiencing mental health concerns, as well as in the disability, aged care, complex medical care needs, palliative care, domestic violence populations. She has worked with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities, clients from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) backgrounds, as well as clients in the Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community.
Considering the person with mental health concerns or life challenges is the expert in their own life, Jayani encourages each client to take an active role in their recovery. In therapy, she helps them to recognise their own strengths and enhance their own positive self-identity, resourcefulness and resilience, in a way that supports the client’s recovery from mental health issues, as well as improving their quality of life.
Jayani has both the clinical knowledge and experience to assess and provide treatment options for clients presenting with psychological concerns, such as:
- Depression, bipolar, and other mood disorders;
- Anxiety disorder;
- Personality disorder;
- Suicidal thoughts;
- Relationship problems;
- Life crises;
- Adjustment issues;
- Eating disorders;
- Grief and loss; and
- Trauma including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Therapies and Techniques
Some of the therapies and techniques which Jayani incorporates into therapy include:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT);
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT);
- Solution-focused Therapy;
- Mindfulness and relaxation strategies such as visualisation and breathing techniques;
- Compassion-focused Therapy;
- Psycho-education; and
- Skills training such as –
- Problem solving
- Stress management
- Anger management
- Social Skills
- Parental Skills.
Jayani provides counselling in both English and Sinhalese.
To make an appointment try Online Booking. Alternatively, you can call M1 Psychology Loganholme on (07) 3067 9129.
Articles of Interest by Jayani Jayatilake:
- CBT for Unhelpful Thinking Styles
- Cultural Considerations in Counselling
- Different Types of Anxiety Disorder
- Foetal Abnormalities in Pregnancy
- Grounding Techniques for Trauma Survivors
- Is Childhood Trauma Affecting You as an Adult?
- Managing Anger: the Assertive Way
- Pregnancy Loss Counselling
- The Impact of Grief and Loss