Until recently I was not aware of Freedom Prayer, and the benefits of it.
I was introduced to the concept at a training session at the Gold Coast church which I attend.
What is Freedom Prayer?
Freedom prayer can be described as “a biblically-based prayer ministry approach” that has the purpose of bringing reconciliation and restoration before God. The focus is on the finished work of Christ on the cross (Ephesians 1:7), and assisting people to find freedom from the sin, pain and limiting beliefs that are preventing them from having a fulfilled life (1). As such, freedom prayer is a tool that is used in many Christian therapeutic settings.
The intent of a freedom prayer session, is to bring the client spiritual healing and deliverance from soul wounds and lies. These wounds and lies can be caused by various negative experiences, right from birth up til the present day. Many people find it helpful to bring them freedom from issues of bondage, including mental health struggles, as well as the ability to have a more intimate spiritual life and connection with God (2).
There are many Christians who notice a gap between the fulfilled life described in the Bible, and the life they live. This struggle is called living with a divided heart.
Symptoms of a Divided Heart
What are the symptoms of a divided heart?
- Having compulsive behaviours;
- Experiencing fears and phobias;
- Generational illness;
- Generational curses;
- Unforgiveness and bitterness;
- Uncontrolled anger and emotions;
- Religious bondage;
- Suicidal thoughts;
- Carrying guilt and shame;
- Depression and anxiety;
- Eating disorders;
- Struggling to grow spiritually;
- Causes of insecurity (3).
What to Expect at a Freedom Prayer session
During your session, the freedom prayer therapist will lead the prayer. In preparation for this, the freedom prayer therapist will ask the client a few questions – and it is very important that the client answers these questions as honestly as possible.
The prayer time will focus on scripture and trusting the Holy Spirit to help the client steer through issues such as forgiveness, repentance, identifying and removing lies or ungodly beliefs. Confession of sin is a major key to experience freedom.
Part of the process is for the client to get a realisation of what God’s truth is; there is also a time in the session where God’s blessing is prayed over them (2).
How Confidential is Freedom Prayer?
Everything that is discussed in a freedom prayer session is confidential. The same regulations applicable to counselling, also apply to a freedom prayer session. There are three instances when confidentiality can be broken:
- When the client reveals that he wants to hurt himself;
- If the client tells the freedom prayer therapist, he wants to hurt someone else;
- It is revealed that a crime was committed, or is going to be committed.
The client will first be informed when steps will be taken to break confidentiality (2).
What is the difference between Freedom Prayer and Counselling?
Freedom prayer was developed from scriptural principles and pastoral experiences, while counselling is grounded in proven and researched behavioural sciences. There is a growing need for recognition of the importance of including a client’s spiritual religious beliefs and practices within the therapeutic process and relationship.
Just as a counsellor may refer clients to a medical doctor for treatment or to help with the therapeutic process, freedom prayer therapists will refer clients to a counsellor if they feel there are issues that cannot be solved with freedom prayer. In fact many freedom prayer therapists work with counsellors, to assist the client in the process of healing and emotional wellness (1).
Discover the Benefits of Freedom Prayer
The benefits of freedom prayer include:
- Becoming aware of hurt that is held in the subconscious;
- Being able to forgive people that hurt you in the past;
- Exploring the barriers to your spiritual relationship with God;
- Paving the way for spiritual growth;
- Identifying factors that cause low self-esteem;
- A better connection with God and the people around you;
- Exploring past relationships and unfinished business in these relationships.
As a counsellor I was originally very sceptical about freedom prayer, but after experiencing it myself I have reached the conclusion that it can be a valuable tool in the hands of a counsellor, although the results are not scientifically proven. There are various limitations to freedom prayer, but when done in conjunction with counselling, it can be a powerful tool in the process of restoration and spiritual healing.
Corey Human has nearly 20 years’ experience in providing counselling to adolescents, adults, couples, parents and families in both English and Afrikaans. In relationship counselling and education, his aim is to empower each couple with the tools to help themselves when they get to points of conflict in their relationship.
To make an appointment try Online Booking. Alternatively, you can call M1 Psychology Brisbane on (07) 3067 9129
- Freedom Prayer. (2018). Welcome to Freedom Prayer | Freedom Prayer. [online] Available at: http://www.freedomprayer.org/ [Accessed 8 Jun. 2018].
- Living Waters Church. (2018). Freedom Prayer FAQ. [online] Available at: http://www.livingwaterschurchutopia.com/freedom-prayer-faq-.html [Accessed 8 Jun. 2018].
- Mining the Truth. (2018). WHat is freedom prayer?. [online] Available at: http://www.miningthetruth.com/what-it-is [Accessed 8 Jun. 2018].