Counsellor – RN, PG Cert Health Science, PG Diploma Midwifery.
Julie Fickel is a counsellor and midwife with a passion for supporting women and their families with the following:
- Birth trauma
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy difficulties
- Reproductive health issues
- New parents
- Sex therapy
- Grief and loss
Julie has extensive experience in counselling perinatal women and has had additional training with Griffith University to provide counselling for pregnancy, parenting support, perinatal mental health (depression and anxiety), and special training in counselling for perinatal trauma.
She has worked in the health industry as a nurse for 30 years, developing skills around communication and supporting individuals and their families to cope with change, grief and loss; fostering resilience during times of crisis and distress. She worked for Lifeline as a telephone counselor and group trainer for 3 years and facilitated Christian women’s recovery ministry groups while studying pastoral care.
Julie has undertaken additional training in sex therapy to support women to discuss intimacy issues, particularly pregnancy concerns and after the birth of baby. Julie’s specialist midwifery knowledge brings a range of skills to support women to:
- increase their confidence as mothers;
- improve communication with their partner and baby;
- explore sexual interest as opposed to arousal, in agreeing to sexual intimacy;
- challenge their expectations of themselves and others;
- understand physical changes post-baby, as well as practical strategies for managing each day;
- postnatal depression: what it looks like, and how to build resilience;
- “stress inoculation” and prevention of fearful or anxious reactions to trauma; and
- preparation and planning for positive birth experiences.
Please note: Julie Fickel is currently not practising
To make an appointment try Online Booking. Alternatively, you can call M1 Psychology Brisbane on (07) 3067 9129
Articles on this website by Julie Fickel
- Benefits of Premarital Counselling
- Birth Trauma and PND
- Burnout in Pastors and Church Leadership
- Christian Counselling
- Handling Christmas Stress
- How to Change Churches
- How to Do Sex Better?!
- Midlife and Menopause
- Planning for a Baby
- Pregnancy Loss
- Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
- Problem Solving in Pregnancy
- Sex Therapy for Women
- The Power of Prayer