The GP must state that the referral is for an opinion and report. The item number is not for ongoing treatment by the psychiatrist. The psychiatrist will provide the GP a detailed written report within 2 weeks of the appointment*. Psychologists may also receive a copy of the report to assist with treatment if they have assisted with the referral.
What are the Costs of a Psychiatry Management Plan
The cost of a 45 minute appointment and report is $650 with a Medicare Rebate of $384.80 or more if the Medicare safety net has been reached. A booking fee of $250 will be requested at the time of booking and will be charged $250 if the client does not provide 72 hours notice of cancellation.
The assessment can spread over two sessions, and if it does, the second sessions will be covered by Medicare at no additional cost to the client.
After the provision of the initial report, the patient, their GP or allied health practitioner could access a review of progress with the same psychiatrist (under item 293) – this will have to be after at least six months post initial assessment.
Please Note: Clients may choose to pay for the session without a GP referral but they will notbe entitled to the Medicare rebate. If they choose this option they must provide the details of their GP as the psychiatry service requires that the report be received by a qualified health professional such as their GP.
What occurs during the appointment?
The appointment is an assessment of relevant and distressing current issues and a comprehensive review of the past. The psychiatrist will make recommendations for beneficial treatment options.
The psychiatrist will review the clients biological, psychological and social issues, provide a diagnosis if appropriate, make recommendations for treatment using both therapeutic interventions and medications if considered appropriate. On occasion the psychiatrist may request a follow up session if further information is needed. Clients may need to fill in questionnaires as part of the appointment.
It is important that clients bring past reports, medical results, list of medications, information on known allergies or lab investigation results to the appointment. Often these details will be listed on the referral from the GP.
What are the step needed to see our Psychiatrist?
- Book an appointment with your psychologist or GP to discuss whether gaining a Psychiatry assessment would be helpful. Often your psychologist will send a letter to the GP requesting this as a step in your care.
- Book into your usual GP and request “Psychiatry Assessment and Management Plan for an opinion and report – Item 291“. Something along these lines needs to be on the referral letter from the GP. Note: If the GP requests the psychiatrist to treat the client, then this referral cannot be used.
- Send you referral to Vision Psychology or M1 Psychology and our psychiatry manager Alex will call you to organise the appointment, provide details on costs and take a booking fee of $250. Fax (07) 3420 5824 or post to PO Box 633, Rochedale South Q 4123. If you are seeing your psychologist at the clinic, then it might be easier to bring your referral in person.
- Alex will call you about the appointment but you may also call the office and ask to speak to Alex if you want to discuss the referral. Alex will offer you an appointment* time slot and then requested the deposit.
- The staff will call and remind you of your appointment 3 -4 days beforehand to confirm your attendance. On the day of the appointment you will pay the remaining $400 and be provided with a rebate of $384.80. Our practice has access to Medicare rebates and we can process the claim on the day so you receive your rebate into your debit account usually 1-2 days later.
- The psychiatrist will send the report in the next 1-2 weeks to your GP (and psychologist if requested).
Please call Vision Psychology on (07) 3088 5422 or M1 Psychology on (07) 3067 9129.
*Please Note: Waiting times may vary depending on demand and availability.
If you are unsure if you need a psychiatrist or psychologist consider booking a free emotional health check up.