B Psych (Hons).
Hi, I am Sam. I am a registered psychologist who is incredibly passionate about empowering others with their mental health with a non-judgemental, compassionate approach.
Inspired by my own lived experience of mental health difficulties in the past and being fortunate enough that a psychologist helped me, I was inspired to be able to do the same for others.
To make an appointment with Samantha Sheppard choose Online Booking. Alternatively, you can call M1 Psychology Loganholme on (07) 3067 9129.
I graduated university with a Bachelor of Psychology with a First class honours. My honours thesis and published research was on how people manage negative feedback in the context of their career identities.
My client experience has included community, custodial and not-for-profit settings. I have had the pleasure of working within the Australian Aboriginal community and resonate strongly with the Social and Emotional Wellbeing Framework. I have experience working with children and adolescents (and their families), young adults and adults.
I take a holistic approach to mental health and aim to guide each client through his or her individual path towards long-term healing.
I use a range of evidence-based therapeutic practices including;
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT),
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT)
- Motivational interviewing
- Narrative therapy
- Play-based strategies (children)
- Positive Psychology
I am trauma-informed and at times utilise movement to help with managing large and overwhelming emotions to ensure we are getting the most out of our sessions together (Yoga and the Traumatised Body – mental health clinician training).
Whilst I have diverse experience working with a range of mental health difficulties (listed below), I generally take a Transdiagnostic approach to mental health.
- Single-incident trauma
- complex PTSD
- low self-esteem
- substance abuse
To make an appointment with Brisbane Psychologist Samantha Sheppard select Online Booking. Alternatively, you can call M1 Psychology Loganholme on (07) 3067 9129.
Articles of Interest by Brisbane Psychologist Samantha Sheppard:
- Attachment Styles in Relationships
- Can You Heal Trauma with Yoga?
- Changing your life – one habit at a time
- Circle of Control
- Dissociation: Meaning, Examples, Triggers, Signs, Test
- How can I have a healthy relationship with my body?
- How can you tell the difference between Intuition and Anxiety?
- How I changed my relationship with anxiety
- How to give yourself a self-care upgrade
- Intuitive Eating – A psychological approach
- Is Social Media to blame for Adolescent Mental Health Difficulties?
- Practically implementing the Polyvagal BASIC Approach
- Productivity, Procrastination and Perfectionism
- Self Compassion and why it is important
- Self Love is Important
- What are the benefits of gratitude?
- What are the psychological benefits of meditation?
- What is EMDR and how does it work?
- What is Intuitive Eating?
- What is Polyvagal Theory?
- What is Social and Emotional Wellbeing?
- What is Wise Mind in DBT?
- Why Acceptance and Commitment Therapy?
- Why are Values Important?