Adam Bear is a fully registered Psychologist with the Psychology Board of Australia, and Member of the Australian Psychological Society. Adam has over 20 years’ experience working effectively with a wide range of clients, primarily in child, adolescent and family therapy, and has extensive experience working with complex clinical presentations. He is a registered provider of Psychology services through Medicare and also for most health funds.
Adam can be contacted to organize individual sessions, group/family sessions, online SKYPE sessions and mobile home visit sessions.
Child and Adolescent Psychology
Adam works with clients throughout the lifespan, but in particular, with children, adolescents, parents and families with:
- Developmental disorders and disabilities – ASD, Asperger’s, intellectual impairment, genetic disorders, people with disabilities, young adults with ASD post-school;
- Behaviour problems – Non-compliance, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder, truancy, offending/criminal behaviour, self-harm, bullying, substance use and abuse, managing devices and screen-time, promiscuity, risk-taking behaviour;
- Parenting and family issues – parent training, designing individualized parenting programs, co-parenting, parenting in blended families or in family breakdown, foster care parenting, parenting children with disabilities including ASD, parenting adopted/overseas adopted children;
- Mood problems – emotional regulation, anger management, stress management, worry, anxiety, depression, OCD, Adjustment Disorder, suicidal ideation/attempts and self-harm;
- Identity and Attachment issues – Reactive Attachment Disorder, identity, gender identity, self-esteem, confidence, adopted people including overseas adoptees;
- Social and relationship problems – peer issues, relationship issues, bullying, managing social media, social skills deficits, shyness, conflict resolution, Family Group Conferencing;
- Trauma and loss – victims of abuse, victims of trauma, grief and loss, PTSD, bereavement;
- Managing Crises – Critical Incident management, conflict resolution, trained Hostage Negotiator;
- Forensic issues – Court assessments and reports, risk assessments, offending behaviour, managing post-incarceration, Youth Justice Conferencing;
- Assessments – Functional Behaviour Analysis, psychometric testing, adult and child/adolescent IQ, Adaptive Behaviour Functioning, Foster Carer, ASD screening, MACI Adolescent Clinical Inventory.
Extensive Experience in Real-World Settings
Since 2002 Adam has run a busy 100% mobile private practice where he travels to work with clients in their homes or schools. This has given him a unique perspective on working with clients in their own environments, often with presenting issues as they are happening. This has also allowed him to work collaboratively at the coalface with teachers, foster carers and others working with young people.
Adam receives regular referrals from self-referred clients/families, doctors, paediatricians, psychiatrists, government departments (eg Disabilities, Communities), private and public schools and non-Government agencies supporting families in need (eg Mission Australia, Suncare, UnitingCare). For more information about his mobile practice see www.bearpsychology.com.
Adam is also the co-founder and Director of The Extreme Behaviour Mechanics, an online self-help and professional development website providing specialist training in everyday language and practical, usable resources for people parenting or working with children and adolescents with difficult, complex and extreme behaviour issues.
Prior to 2002 Adam spent 12 years working in a number of government and non-government agencies in Queensland and in England. This work included working in out of home care (ie residential care, specialized foster care), youth justice/detention, adult prisons and organizations supporting families and/or youth in need.
Approaches Designed to Fit Clients’ Needs
Adam mainly uses Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) with a strong focus on Behaviour Modification informed by Functional Behaviour Analysis (FBA) and Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) techniques. In order to find approaches that best fit the client, he incorporates elements of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Mindfulness-based techniques, Solution Focused Therapy (SFT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) and Narrative approaches.
Adam believes people do their best with what they have at that point in time. So when things go wrong for a person, it is usually because something is missing. Whether it is knowledge, or the way we interpret or understand something, or patience, energy or some skill, there is usually something practical that is missing or would benefit from adjusting. Adam always works from a client-centered approach, and sees his role as helping the client to work out how best to change things for themselves or for their children, to get better outcomes and to become the best version of themselves possible.
Adam’s warm, non-judgmental and relaxed, approachable style, allows him to form trusting and real therapeutic connections with young and older people alike. He is fluent in Minecraft and popular culture and is himself the father of three young children. He communicates specialized knowledge in everyday language and uses a common sense and “real” approach to problems. He is particularly skilled at working with young people who don’t think they need help, who have had negative experiences in therapy before, or who are not particularly willing clients.
Bookings and Fees: To make an appointment with Brisbane Psychologist Adam Bear, try Online Booking – Loganholme or call M1 Psychology (Loganholme) on (07) 3067 9129.
Articles of Interest by Adam Bear
- Dealing with Problem Behaviour
- Power Struggles with Your Child or Teen?
- When Rewards Charts and Time Out Don’t Work